Friday, December 10, 2010

Stance and Foot Placement

I remember that during my first training session in Chen Tai Chi, Master Yu told me to be aware of my stance. He was concerned that the stance was the correct width, that there were the proper weight shift proportions applied, the correct height, and that I was keeping my center low enough.

Another thing he taught me that day was that foot placement would allow for easier movement in transition to the next following movement. Later again, after a few more lessons had passed, this point was emphasized again, to permit easier repositioning of my feet/body/legs with subsequent movements.

One of my earliest observations in regards to stance was that while the feet were planted, the hips held plenty of action, with weightshifing going on from one side to the other, and sometimes waist turning or movements of the upper body happening.

Very clearly, Chen Tai Chi as taught by Master Yu Guo shun was very dynamic and very sophisticated in its exploration and emphasis upon appropriate detail.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment