Monday, December 6, 2010

Finding Chen Style Tai Chi Chuan here in NYC

Many years ago, I diligently practiced tai chi chuan, yang style short form and was very happy and pleased with my results garnered from training. I have to confess, that I enjoyed the relaxing and gentle/soft way of pactice and that training appealed to a "lazier" side of me that I carried over for some time. Prior to my training in this system, I had heard of Chen style tai chi but examples of it, in books, or vids or personal appearances that I saw showed very little and left me clueless as to what I was missing in my training. I figured it was mostly hype, frankly.

Later, over 12 years later, I heard there was a well respected Chen teacher here in my area. I went to visit his class, was I was a bit put off by the large class he had, and a rather arrogant attitude that I perceived. I have to say I was quite put off.

At this point, i'd like to clarify a bit about myself. I have been a long time martial artist, beginning my training in 1971. I've studied with Korean teachers, Japanese teachers, Americans, Chinese, and Filipino instructors. I've encountered all the various types of operations... those commercial and those not, the instructors who were all business and the instructors that didn't care for payment, but wanted loyalty and a personal approach to things.

So, when I met this Chen instructor, I was saddened and disheartened and put aside any thoughts of ever re-examining or looking into Chen Tai Chi.

Forward a few years later, I decided I needed to get off my growing bottom and seek out some more learning experiences, as I was very efficient with my own training in Kali. I looked around for various kung fu and tai chi instructors and systems and frankly, was beginning to give up hope, until one day, I found a tiny internet spot that spoke of training with a teacher of Chen tai chi. I tracked down a video clip and within 30 seconds, no lie, I knew I had to go and see this teacher. I went to his class, and asked to participate and join. Suffice to say, I have been since obsessed and thrilled to find this wonderful instructor of Chen Tai Chi. My bottom hasn't yet gotten any smaller, but I feel more vibrant and enthused about my life and my personal training has all been enhanced since I started my journey with my teacher. This blog will share some of my experience training in Chen Tai Chi. I hope you enjoy reading and coming along on my journey here.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment