Monday, December 20, 2010

Effective Self Defense...

I remember Shifu demonstrating a large number of variations of application off a particular movement from the Lao Jia form. I was amazed at the practicality of each given technique shown, and Shifu was applying them against different students of many different sizes and body shapes. Some included throws, some included takedowns, some included kicks and sweeps.

What also impressed me greatly, was Shifu emphasizing to us that different techniques were available off EITHER side, against a variety of different types of attacks. He was very clear, that the applications were "always more than just a defense off a push..."

What was amazing to me also, wasn't just the seemingly endless array of techniques, but how the POSTURE emphasized in the form would lend itself to a variety of traps, locks and leg/arm immobilizations.

Very frankly, Chen Style Tai Chi offers MUCH more than I originally had even hoped for or expected when I first began embarking on my journey to learn this beautiful system of martial art. Having a teacher who can also show and demonstrate every move and an array of potential technique/application is a real gift.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment