Thursday, May 26, 2011

Improving Core Strength


Well, I was good last night, and started my calisthenic routine as I had hoped to do. Following my stretching, I decided to focus on some core activity. The core refers to all the muscles that are on the torso, that support and control movement of the spine and pelvis. Strength here is critical in order that we can sustain better posture, move/kick better, jump better and higher and often these muscle groups are not targeted sufficiently in exercising. For sure it works... this morning, I feel the strain of my ex's yesterday.

Pictured above is the 'plank' exercise with hip extension... we first begin in the regular plank starting position, then, gently try to extend first one hip upwards/lower and repeat, and then perform it on the opposite side. I found this one surprisingly difficult! I performed 3 sets of this exercise in addition to a few others designed to target hip/knee flexion to improve my knee strikes in application.

I'll be posting more of what i'm doing as adjunct training to improve my Chen Tai Chi training.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment