Thursday, May 12, 2011

How Real is that Tai Chi Master?


I was looking over some books on Chen Tai Chi, and thinking about which one I would spend my hard earned money on. THEN, yesterday, I came across a video of the author of a well known and recognized book on Chen Tai Chi! I was so excited, but then, watching him perform, I was very disappointed and saddened to see that his form lacked so many elements that I consider critical to true understanding and performance of Chen Tai Chi.

Examples of what I did not see was a lack of ANY trace of lumbar control during motions, a lack of any turning points and very limited spiral energy. In addition his fajin was clearly all externally muscled and his timing was also off with his weapons forms.

Having viewed his performance, I will give him credit for performing well in front of an audience; however, I won't be spending any of my money on his writing.

I was taught once that we cannot fault anyone for NOT knowing something and NOT being able to show or teach something they clearly don't know, yet I believe that it is NOT enough to accept things on blind faith or because the teacher you are training with has a famous lineage. True understanding and ability CAN be seen and CAN be found in different people and if we are true to ourselves and our desires to improve and be the best we can be, we need to find accurate and true sources of training and information.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment