Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dao Basics


Shifu teaches the dao with a combination of forms instructions, and instructions in basics as he sees what we are having difficulty with.

One of the first basics he shared with me (which I very quickly forgot)was moving the broadsword around the front of my body, going around the back in a clockwise direction leading into a horizontal cut from my right to the left; then cutting from my left to a horizontal right, with the sword then travelling behind my back in a counterclockwise direction to finish with a guard position towards the front.

Later on, this same manuever was progressed; starting with a left foot forward guard position then shifting to allow the overhead manuever, followed by the same sequence of sword motions, but with greater adjustments of the body and additional footwork.

The manuevers are practiced slowly and steadily to develop familiarity and correct positioning; then gradually increased in speed.

Shifu even had us do some partner practice to make sure we understood the application and use of these basic motions.

Good stuff - I really love the weapons forms that Shifu shares with us.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment