Friday, March 4, 2011

Standing Meditation



I was first introduced to standing meditation, otherwise known as "zhang zhuan" about a year ago. It is a form of breathing practice and standing practice with the intention of developing stability, control of the lumbar spine, relaxation of the body, strengthening and cultivating chi and stillness.

There are a number of different ways of doing this. No one way, I believe is better than another.

Shifu has taught me a method of how to concentrate while breathing in and out, and what to expect, and how to practice directing the chi flow in the body with spinal mobility. Frankly, I find this practice very laborious and difficult. I keep the faith that practice will have significant benefit.

I was taught that this type of practice is best done in a steady and progressive manner, maybe 5-10 minutes a day, and working the way up to half an hour at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment