Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A Gentleman and a Class Act



I've had the privilege of training with many great and wonderful teachers over the years. My most influential, prior to meeting Shifu, was an incredibly talented and charismatic individual that promoted the idea that it was alright to show and display our talent and skills, so long as we could always back them up. For over 10 years, i've felt very sure and very proud of my achievements,yet almost every time I get an opportunity to spend time with Shifu, I continually am humbled by his grace and his character, in addition to his marvelous martial arts skills and talent.

Last night, after class, we were discussing some points of training and some differences in what I had observed in my study and perusal of what was present and visible on the net regarding tai chi in general. I expressed my thanks and gratitude that Shifu was available and present here in the NYC area. I stated how I originally had desired and considered travelling to China to study Bajiquan, but now I felt there was no need for me to travel so far away for excellent and available instruction.

Shifu promptly hushed me, and told me that I should not talk in such a manner. He inferred that "to compare and critique an individual or a style/system that I only know of through pictures, or videos or the internet would not be in good manners. He was very clear that I should always respect the names and the words of others.

I really love that about Shifu. He is always a gentleman, and he always wants us to behave in a manner that is respectful and considerate. I had forgotten that lesson for quite a number of years. Shifu's teaching really strikes a welcome chord in me, that makes me incredibly proud to be fortunate to be his student and to learn things from him both in and out of class. He truly makes me want to strive to be a more respectful individual.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment