Saturday, March 5, 2011

How Hard Are You Practicing?



This morning's class was rough on me, today. It was one of those days that I could tell I wasn't 100%, don't know why, it just happens sometimes. Put on my right shoe this morning and I could tell right away, my ganglion was acting up. A ganglion is a cyst usually found in the lining of a tendon or ligament. Pressure on it sometimes causes alot of pain, and in my case, limping and weight bearing is very uncomfortable.

One of my seniors was there today, and he was describing his current fight against a very painful and sore groin pull. Clearly he was sweating and working hard, and I thought his form looked truly excellent today.

Shifu mentioned to me today, that his back was bothering him a bit. He was telling me that he had gotten his pain quite some time ago and that it bothered him frequently. The darn thing is that just looking at him, it is almost impossible to tell.

When I am in discomfort, I find I really need to focus and pay attention. My mind tends to wander, tends to focus on the pain or discomfort, and I want and need to pay attention to whatever Shifu wants me to work on in class.

We were in the park today, so after we were done, a kung fu practitioner asked if he could use our space. I watched him for a few minutes. I was admiring his form, and his effort and his concentration. I was very impressed. Shifu said, "he is working very hard!" I took that as very high praise for that individual.

Anyway, i'm home now totally chilling out and relaxing and probably will indulge in a short nap. I know that I was working hard today, too, despite it not being one of my better performances in class.

How do you all judge to see if you are practicing and working hard in class?
J

No comments:

Post a Comment