Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Length of time to learn combat effectiveness?




These particular thoughts on this topic are my own opinion. I want to state that from the outset.

I've read and heard many people over the years say that when learning tai chi, you can't leave the house for 10 years! Then I recently found an article that stated it would take about 6 years to develop an intermediate level of skill in combat.

To all that I totally disagree.

For sure there are different levels of skill that can be learned and developed over the course of a few years. There is a very high level of tai chi skill that can be achieved the longer we practice. There are specific body mechanics we are taught, and can be developed to be used instantaneously and I believe that there is an "ideal" way we should all strive for.

The founder of Chen Tai Chi was a general in the army. As a military commander I believe he would have understood a need for training that was effective and efficient to learn. I also believe that he felt there was value in long term study and gradual development towards an "ideal."

In other martial arts systems, forms are used as a model or a framework of practice. The movements done are intended to transmit specific skill and concepts to be used in combat. Should the Chen Tai Chi forms be any different? My opinion is no.

Actually, I probably am too aggressive in my thinking, but I believe that a few months of serious training, combined with serious partner practice can create a fighter of some significant merit and have effective personal protection skills. Of course, it would be important for a given student to learn how to recognize violence or impending conflict, to be able to recognize and understand the mechanics of common attack structure, and also the student would have to be confident enough to withstand and apply what he/she can do against an aggressor.

Please don't get me wrong, I intend to be involved with Chen Tai Chi for the long haul; hopefully for as long as I remain alive. I write my above thoughts because I think the general public doesn't give Chen Tai Chi enough credit as a true combat art. Push hands is a good skill to develop; however an attacker on the street trying to take your wallet or purse doesn't know how to do push hands. My views represent how I personally practice my Chen Tai Chi when I'm home and have bodies to practice upon.

I read alot on the internet and in books about how Chen Tai Chi MAY be more combative than other systems of Tai Chi because in Chen we learn how to develop more 'explosive force.' I say that's a load of crap. Sure force is important, but if that were the only criteria than the stronger individual would always win every conflict and we know that isn't the case.

A knowlegable and skilled instructor should be able to demonstrate different techniques and principles of fighting from the start of every motion within the form.
Our Shifu, Master Yu Guo Shun does exactly that. We learn to recognize how to use the motions and spiraling actions taught in the form to maximize our applications.

We are taught how to position our hands; how to grab, turn, twist, apply low level attacks in combination with the upper body motions. We are taught shoulder strikes, hand and arm strikes. He shows us how to counter kicks, punches, grabs, pushes, etc, etc..

Chen Tai Chi IS an effective fighting art. It's just important to practice and modify or adjust one's personal practice with what is done in a limited class length of time to develop one's skill further.

This last statement may rub some people the wrong way, but practice with standing meditation, solo form practice, and chan si jin practice solo and push hands practice won't prepare you to deal with an aggressor coming at you with a hammer or a screwdriver in his hands. But, if you apply yourself further, and you attempt to understand and fit what you are learning to the needs of your environment, you WILL be able to develop an effective fighting and self protective management you can apply NOW, while your steady training and practice in class can allow you to grow towards perfection in skill and body mechanic.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment