Monday, April 4, 2011

Is Weapons Training Necessary in Chen Tai Chi?



I do not think it is necessary or important for the average individual to train in weapons in Chen Tai Chi. I do however feel that there are many compelling reasons to seek out training in Chen style weapons, though.

In my personal training, I have learned one straight sword form, and am now beginning to learn a broadsword form. These are some of the benefits I have found immediately from starting my Chen weapons training: appreciation for how to move with a long and heavy weapon in hand, better body awareness, increased demand upon different body movements in different motions that work the core tremendously and a need for greater agility. I learned very quickly that even with a lighter weapon in hand, my core strength improved very quickly as did my eyehand coordination and overall enduarnce and tolerance to activity.

Don't be fooled by slow moving tai chi forms with weapons. Even moving slowly you ARE working and if you practice seriously for more than a couple of hours you WILL build up quite a sweat and training in the weapons forms will improve your Chen Tai Chi empty hand skills and forms practice because of better mobility/agility, body awareness and inproved strength and body mechanics.

Also, different weapons such as the broadsword and the straight sword are worked differently and training in each weapon will enhance one's ability to move and adapt to different situations and scenarios. If you can find the time and energy to train in Chen weapons, I encourage it strongly.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment