Sunday, April 10, 2011

Having an Open Mind - a Fresh Spirit, the Beginner's Mind to Learn Chen Tai Chi



So many years ago, one of my first major influences in the martial arts, always spoke of the best way to learn something. He would tell us that it wasn't what we had learned before, it wasn't how much we had thought about or studied something previously, the appropriate way to learn each day, and everyday, was to start each session or class, with a "fresh" mind, or a "beginner's spirit." He was an incredible teacher, and he literally positive touched thousands of students' hearts and minds, including myself.

These days when I'm in class and practicing Chen, I look at the newbies coming in to participate. It's a funny thing, because so often I hear them comment that they are trying to learn "like a beginner," or that they "need to register what they are looking at with what they have done before." Many statements are made always talking about what they had done, or seen before.

The true key to learning quickly and well, is to not even THINK about what you've done before! That is just ego. Let go of yourself and don't even mention the past, don't even think about other teachers when you're in class with Shifu, because it's what is happening here and now, in class, that is important. That is why you're here if you truly wish to learn.

AFTER class, then you can think about the "differences," or "changes," or what has your mind reeling.

I'm so glad that I learned this lesson all those years ago. It has truly helped shape me to be able to learn so many different things, and has helped me become more adaptable. I hope it helps you all, too.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment