Thursday, October 27, 2011

Internet Experts


I've been involved in martial arts since 1971, and have met hundreds of teachers since that time. One of my pet peeves are the american practitioners who like to make use of "chinese quotations" or "names of techniques," when trying to show me or tell me how good they are. It's a thing of where, I may say, "don't do this or do that because (insert chinese word or phrase here) will be exposed or off center, or that some "mysterious" energy will be lost or misaligned. I call BULLSHIT on that.

My teacher, doesn't speak english well, yet he manages to get the point across to all of us WITHOUT using any of that nonsense. He will DEMONSTRATE to us his point to make it clear in a very frank and PRACTICAL, useful way, that we quickly understand, and can also show and demonstrate to others. It kills me when I read crap about this energy or that energy, and whether or not someone can see it at a distance or whatever, yeesh. Chen Tai Chi is a fighting art, not a mystical thing.

I often wonder why people will spend thousands of dollars on training and what they are learning. I am very grateful that I have found my teacher here in NYC. No nonsense, and no bullshit, he simply teaches and SHOWS.

There are so many students I've met that have trained for years with this guy or that guy, and frankly, it's appalling. Even me, back in the day, i've trained with a bunch of well known names, and I tell you, I did not see Chen Tai Chi until I met Shifu. He doesn't like me to brag or boast about him, he his very humble, but I strongly encourage all of you to come and see his level. You should not be surprised how much you will learn from him with just a few moments of instruction.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment