Sunday, November 22, 2015

1 Motion May Actually be Comprised of Several Movements or Intention

Really understanding a given motion, may require a very in depth look at what is actually being done. As Shifu explained it to me, I may see or think of one interpretation, but that same motion, HE may be seeing or thinking of 4 to 5 potential applications. The key to understanding this is to practice slowly and really examine the path and the relative timing of what can be happening within that short time frame of motion. It is why when we practice Tai Chi, we try to go slow,slow enough to understand what we are trying to achieve.

Initially when learning the form, we just try to learn the movements of the form, and while learning the form, we reap the benefits of the training physically, mentally and for me, emotionally. As we progress, we have to examine deeper what we are actually doing with the motions. I won't lie, I thought I had a pretty good grasp of application from a number of the motions... I cannot tell you how humbling it was to see just how infantile my understanding and expression was!! Only a high level instructor willing to share his art, skill and understanding can help one achieve this breadth of knowledge. Thank you, Shifu!!

No comments:

Post a Comment