Friday, August 19, 2011

Respectfully, I Disagree...


I found this bit of writing about Chen Tai Chi today as a training tip for how to practice the forms.

Primary importance is placed upon understanding the underlying movement principles and then progression to standardised movement. As this is accomplished, the next goal is to search for further realisation of the internal circulation of energy. Initially when you come to the fixed postures, for example, Lazily Tying Coat (Lan Zha Yee) or Single Whip (Dan Bian) in your mind you must very strictly adjust yourself according to the requirements for each part of the body: Lift the top of the head, shoulders relaxed, elbows sunken down etc.

First I wish to make the following qualifying statements. The author of the paragraph above is a well-respected author with far greater length of training time than I in Chen Tai Chi. And I have no doubt he means well with good intentions.

However, I respectfully disagree! While I am totally and completely aware of the "requirements" he describes, I believe that it is THAT type of thinking that keeps the vast majority of practitioners unable to actually use and develop martial value to the techniques they are hoping to learn!

My 40 years + of training in and teaching various martial arts have taught me that students need to learn the correct movements first, then learn to understand the intention and meaning behind a given motion of the form. Then, as they develop a better appreciation of energetics within the body, they must also seek to develop further interpretations of the potential meanings of the movements in question, and also seek partner practice to further cultivate attributes of timing, reach, distance, application of strength, variation in opponent size and incoming energy, various terrain, etc, etc.

I also believe that students will be able to develop martial ability even if the students might be slightly "off" in the "requirements" of how to move within the form. YES, we should absolutely strive to sustain the "requirements" as we practice; however, I truly do not believe we should be adjusting at the close of each movement merely to "fit the requirements." Remember, often what we are doing as we transition from the initiation of a movement to the conclusion of a movement, we are already potential engaged in contact WITH an opponent, and to adjust at the end and having our intention focused upon the corrections as opposed to the entire movement seems quite limiting to my understanding.

Again, I mean NO disrespect to the author I am alluding to. I believe he has done, and continues to offer tremendous sources of information for students globally. But I feel strongly that I need to express my viewpoint as well for the martial imperative I feel needing support.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment