Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Applications of Chen Tai Chi and the 8 Skills




Generally when we discuss Chen Tai Chi applications, there are 8 "skills" or principles of combat that should be considered. These 8 skill sets are also called Ba Fa.

Peng -The way I interpret this is to ward off, or to stick and make contact

Lu -push aside or grab and pull

Ji -to enter and push

An -to cover or trap the arms and push

Kau -to bump or strike with body parts like the shoulder or hip or knee

Zhou -to hold and punish with an elbow strike or motion

Cai -to grab, hold and twist

Lie -to split, or to enter and throw

I believe that when we examine the movements of the Chen Tai Chi forms and we try to figure out the applications, we can go through a catalog of possibilities which incorporate each of the 8 skills. Perhaps they will apply, or maybe not. At my current skill level I am still trying to understand how these concepts apply to different motions. All I can do is to share what I come across in my class and outside learning and hope that with continued study, I will better understand and be able to use the skills I am developing in my practice.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment