Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Thighs of Chen Tai Chi!



A bunch of us were gathered around a table, and we were bemoaning the various aches pains we had gotten over the months we had been training, when one of the guys said, "y'know my thighs have definitely gotten MUCH bigger." Laughing, we all began talking about the sizes of our thighs...

"Well, my right thigh is definitely bigger than my left thigh..."
"Ha! Do you end up walking around in circles?"
"Maybe you should practice sometimes the opposite way, to achieve a better balance?"

There's no question that training in Chen Tai Chi, we have all gotten much stronger, and I think many of us take a perverse delight in the gains we have achieved from our training. I think that is a good thing. For too long the world has gotten the impression that tai chi is but flowery movements meant for health and moving meditation, but when we gather in a group, hopefully the outside world sees a bunch of smiling guys and ladies, with powerful thighs... and hopefully, for just a brief moment they take pause... and just maybe, one or two of them may think to themselves..."wow! Those people look strong, and they look like they are doing tai chi, and they are sweating, and they sure look like they are having an awesome time!"

Usually folks think about smaller guts, rounder butts, a bigger chest when they work out. I know my friends and I, we're proud of our Chen Tai Chi thighs! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment