Monday, January 23, 2012

Understanding What Places the Energy Should Go To


In my last class that I attended Shifu had us practicing some basics. Let me tell you, lol, basics with Shifu are unlike basics I've ever done anywhere else, lol. His basics usually are a combination of footwork, technique and body mechanic all designed to improve both our skill and understanding.

The pic above shows the completion of a given move. What is important is the emphasis that Shifu placed upon where there should be energy driven to. While the natural impulse is just to look at the final positions of the hands; Shifu also emphasized the need to have energy in the posterior aspect of the shoulder as well.

To me, these subtleties of energy and body shift/turning/spiralling, etc, are what truly define Kung Fu as a more sophisticated martial art than anything I have studied previously over a 40 year span of training. Chen Tai Chi is Real Kung Fu, as it is taught by Shifu.

Several students have asked me how I remember so much from the classes. I find it is helpful to write things down after class, and I spend considerable time trying to recall all I see in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment