Monday, January 23, 2012

Broadsword Practice


I've been sick this past weekend, but despite that I have made sure to practice and lately i've revived my broadsword training. One of the most challenging things I find about the broadsword form is how difficult some of the moves are. What makes a lot of the motions difficult are the stances and the twists and turns of the body used in maneuvering the sword about. Since this is the start of the Chinese New Year, i've decided that i'm going to practice this broadsword form a lot this year. I believe that practicing the broadsword at home will definitely help my strength training and balance for the empty hand Chen forms.

Knives and swords are some of my most favorite weapons, and I really hope that I will get comfortable doing this particular form with a wider variety of weapons and tools. When I tried to practice this form with one of my larger knives with a double edge, it was clear that these techniques do not work as well for two edges, unless the top edge is only sharpened for a few inches near the tip; otherwise, there is a high chance of personal risk to oneself.

LOL, please keep in mind, Shifu always tells me to only practice with my training weapons, but I like to train with real weapons as well as the trainers. I would agree with Shifu that training with a blunt sword/knife is best; but i'm a bit extreme in my own personal training. Your mileage should vary and should you choose to try live blade training, please keep in mind that is your own personal choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment