Sunday, January 8, 2012

Back from the holidays!



Hi! My apologies to all! With Christmas and New Year's day falling on the past two Sundays, I unfortunately had little inspiration to write about. Today fortunately, I was able to get up and out early and made it to class.

The picture above is from Shifu doing Xin Jia. In an earlier post, I had mentioned that I was learning a new form. Incorrectly it turned out, I made a mistake and thought I was learning Lao Jia Er Lu, but today found out I was being taught Xin Jia Yi Lu.

One of the big differences in the opening sequence is shown above. In Lao Jia, the pressure we are exerting upon an incoming limb has a downward pressure applied to it. In Xin Jia, we were told today to think of an upward pressure on the limb.

Now obviously we all know and accept that depending upon how we wish to practice a given motion in Lao Jia, we can apply either upward OR downward pressure; however, if we practice in THIS manner thinking of one doing one thing primarily and the other thing application in yet another manner, then we are better able to classify and identify our meaning in our immediate practice.

Of course, lol, Shifu says ideally, we practice Lao Jia AND Xin Jia daily and do it seriously, too... but that is another topic.

Happy New Year everyone!! It's great to be back in class.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment