Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Kicks in Chen Tai Chi




Many of my friends have often questioned me about my tai chi practice. "Do you do kicks?" "how hard is it to do those kicks?" "how do you kick in slow motion?" etc, etc.

Kicks have always been the bane of my martial arts existence, lol. Back in the day, when I was a teenager, learning tae kwon do, seriously... what was I thinking? Anyway, 30+ years later, and almost 150 pounds heavier than those times, the kicks haven't gotten any easier.

Shifu is very encouraging. He assures me that if I just keep at the practice, the kicks will get better. So, I stretch, and I practice, sigh...it's alot easier to practice the chan si, and the lumbar motions, lol, than it is to do the kicks, but I must remember to perservere.

Thankfully the form has less than 10 kicks in it. I think i'd rather practice jumping around and spinning 360 than do kicks, but I don't want to discourage anyone.
Every once in a while I get off a good kick that I can smile about. That helps to ease the pain of practice.

Sure hope all of you out there, can kick better than me!
J

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry you'll get it. Practice your stretching and leg extensions SLOWLY with LIGHT ankle weights. It'll really give you a lot of power that will help your form.

    ReplyDelete