Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Philosophical or No?



While I believe that there is alot of depth and philosophy that can be applied to Chen Tai Chi, I don't think it is necessary to investigate too deeply into abstract thoughts and concepts that most average individuals have little interest in. As a fighter, one needs to only understand how a circular motion or a spiral can be applied. Once that application is understood, then time is better spent on practicing the motion AND the technique, in order to make it one's own.

In my reading and research, I often find that authors will describe how the circles and spirals theoretically can be used, but then conclude with trying to tie the motions/skills/techniques into universal principles of life and harmony and other philosophical stuff.

As a long time PRACTICAL martial artist, I want to know how these things will work on an opponent. How can these circles and spirals help me fight better, that is the question that is important to me.

I think too many individuals are turned off to the art of Chen Tai Chi because they think they need to become students of the Tao. No way! Find a good teacher who is versed in the combative aspects of Chen Tai Chi and let your practical understanding flow!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment