Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Joint locks and controls

Yesterday, I practiced a bunch of joint locks and controls from one of the motions in the form. I was pleased that I was able to derive about 6-7 different locks and controls off of several random attacks. Now in my practice yesterday, I was able to control and bring down several large individuals with just arm motions. I hadn't even gotten down into a deep or low stance, I was very casual. Looking back, I probably should have practiced with the appropriate body height and positioning. As I focus on my applications, I notice that I am very busy focusing back at the beginning of the form and review all hand positions and directions and motions.

In my practice, I had my partners grab either arm, at the wrists, or the elbows, or grab both arms at any of the two positions, and also practiced against straight and hook punches. We didn't do pushes, but in retrospect, I should have as well. I'm very happy to clearly see the improvement in my understanding and use of Chen Tai Chi. Eternal thanks to Shifu for his patience and guidance. Can't wait to practice more today!
J

No comments:

Post a Comment